Annual Conference 2013
Welcome and Overview
We invite you to uncover the future at the DET CRC’s third Annual Conference at Hahndorf in the Adelaide Hills. This Conference provides the opportunity to learn of the progress made by CRC projects after approximately 3 years of research. It is already clear that the results of DET CRC research will transform the workflow of mineral exploration. The Conference is also an opportunity for Participants, Affiliates and Researchers to learn about and influence the future plans of the CRC.
One of the Adelaide Hills’ most loved towns, Hahndorf is Australia’s oldest surviving German settlement. Hahndorf is a feast for the senses, with its German architecture featuring many Fachwerk buildings, quaint shopping experiences, along with a new mix of fine dining, exciting and chic businesses and a broad range of accommodation choices, all blended between the 100 year old elm and plane trees which line the main street. There are also several good winery cellar doors in the area such as Nepenthe, Shaw and Smith and The Lane (all within five minutes of the town).
Please note the conference is open to DET CRC sponsors and researchers only.
Key events are summarised below (please see the Conference programme for further information):
- Tuesday 19 November 2013: Joint and Co-operative Inversion of Electromagnetic and Seismic Data Workshop
- Tuesday 19 November 2013: South Australian Mineral Systems Drilling Program – Information and Opportunities for Collaboration
- Tuesday 19 November 2013: PhD Session
- Wednesday 20 November 2013: Conference Day 1
- Wednesday 20 November 2013: Conference Formal Dinner
- Thursday 21 November 2013: Conference Day 2, DET CRC Brukunga Bazaar (trade show style exhibition showcasing DET CRC Projects)
- Thursday 21 November 2013: Conference Informal Dinner
- Friday 22 November 2013: Conference Day 3, Science Steering Committee Meeting & Project Meetings
A draft Programme for the Conference is available to download below:
Last updated 15/11/2013
Joint and Co-operative Inversion of Electromagnetic and Seismic Data
Graham Heinson, DET CRC Project 2.4 Leader, University of Adelaide
Tuesday 19 November 2013
09:00 – 17:15
DET CRC Head Office/Boart Longyear, 26 Butler Boulevard, Adelaide Airport, ADELAIDE SA 5950
Free of charge
This workshop is for anyone interested in joint and co-operative inversion of multiple geophysical data sets to provide better constrained geological models.
High-quality geophysical data sets are routinely being collected around existing mines and mineral targets. Such geophysical measurements are used to image the Earth, often in three dimensions, through a process called inversion. However, given the depth of many target regions, these images generally have poor resolution and suffer from an ambiguity of interpretation.
Joint inversion is a hot area of geophysical research, combining more than one data set to produce a single geological model. Not only do we get more accurate models of the Earth by using multiple data sets, we also benefit from the mutual constraints between data sets. This Workshop will demonstrate algorithmic and workflow approaches developed in Phase I of DET CRC Project 2.4 to combine 3D seismic and MT data to produce more accurate and better resolved models for mineral explorers.
South Australian Mineral Systems Drilling Program: Information and Opportunities for Collaboration
Adrian Fabris, DET CRC Project 3.4 Leader, Department for Manufacturing, Innovation, Trade, Resources and Energy (DMITRE)
Tuesday 19 November 2013
14:00 – 16:00
Department for Manufacturing, Innovation, Trade, Resources and Energy (DMITRE) Offices, Level 7, 101 Grenfell Street, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Free of charge
This workshop is an information session for the DET CRC mineral system drill program and for those interested in exploration opportunities in the eastern Gawler Craton.
The aim of the workshop is to provide participants with information and initiate a discussion with explorers regarding a proposed DMITRE/DET CRC “Mineral Systems Drilling Program” that we plan to conduct during 2015. The program will be designed to provide a field test of the DET CRC’s deep exploration strategy; state-of-the-art targeting followed by systematic drilling combined with real-time analysis to enable rapid, informed decision making. We will present options for explorers to collaborate in the Mineral Systems Drilling Program and provide a forum for feedback and discussion of those opportunities.
Tuesday 19 November 2013 (Pre Conference Workshops)
- DET CRC Head Office/Boart Longyear, 26 Butler Boulevard, Burbridge Business Park, Adelaide Airport SA 5950
- Department for Manufacturing, Innovation, Trade, Resources and Energy (DMITRE), Level 7, 101 Grenfell Street, Adelaide SA 5000
- Mawson Building, University of Adelaide, North Terrace, Adelaide SA 5005
Wednesday 20 November 2013 (Conference Day 1)
- C3 Conference Centre, Cnr Main Street & Auricht Road, Hahndorf SA 5245
Thursday 21 November 2013 (Conference Day 2)
- Brukunga Drilling Research and Training Facility, Pyrites Road, Brukunga SA 5252
Friday 22 November 2013 (Conference Day 3)
- Kirkbee Business Centre, 25a Main Street, Hahndorf SA 5245 (Science Steering Committee Meeting)
- Various Locations TBA (DET CRC Project Meetings)
A range of accommodation has been reserved in Hahndorf for conference attendees. In order to reserve accommodation please indicate the nights that you require via the online registration form.
Breakfast is included with all accommodation. Morning tea and lunch will be provided at the conference venue. The Conference will include two dinners. The Formal Dinner will be held on Wednesday 20 November 2013. The Informal Dinner will be held on Thursday 21 November 2013 at The Hahndorf Inn (35 Main Street, Hahndorf SA 5245).
In addition to coach transfers to and from the Brukunga Drilling Research and Training Facility and the Formal Dinner the following optional transfers are available free of charge.
Tuesday 19 November 2013
- Departing DMITRE for Hahndorf at the conclusion of the South Australian Mineral Systems Drilling Program : Information and Opportunities for Collaboration Workshop at 16:00
- Departing DET CRC/Boart Longyear at the conclusion of the Joint and Co-operative Inversion of Electromagnetic and Seismic Data Workshop at 17:15
- Departing the University of Adelaide for Hahndorf at the conclusion of the PhD Session at 17:30
- Departing Adelaide Airport for Hahndorf, meeting flight QF667 (leaving Brisbane at 10:55 arriving in Adelaide at 14:05)
- Departing Adelaide Airport for Hahndorf, meeting flight QF663 (leaving Brisbane at 15:45 arriving in Adelaide at 18:55)
- Departing Adelaide Airport for Hahndorf, meeting flight QF668 (leaving Perth at 8:30 arriving in Adelaide at 13:55)
- Departing Adelaide Airport for Hahndorf, meeting flight QF592 (leaving Perth at 12:55 arriving in Adelaide at 18:20)
Friday 22 November 2013
- Departing Hahndorf for Adelaide Airport at 12:45
If your partner would like to spend some time in the beautiful Adelaide Hills whilst you are at the Conference then they would be most welcome. Please indicate this with respect to accommodation on the registration form. Please note only one breakfast is included per a room, additional breakfasts will be at your own cost.
We would also be delighted if partners wish to attend either or both of the dinners, this can be arranged at a cost to you of $40 for the Informal Dinner and $110 for the Formal Dinner (inclusive of gst).
A map outlining the key conference venues is available to download below:
Please select the appropriate registration category from the below two options:
(Any employee of a DET CRC Participant or Affiliate organisation, excluding those who are researchers on DET CRC projects)
(Any person working as a researcher/PhD on a DET CRC Project, and DET CRC employees/Directors)
Please note that registrations close 10 November 2013.